Gave the yeast some extra food and the sugar levels are already down to 2. Last year it took 4 days to get down to 5. Looks like we'll definitely be pressing these bins on Saturday.
More cap punching, at least 3 times a day. Good upper body work out. Don got word that our other two labels got approved by the Feds so we're up and rolling on selling the 2010 zin. Wine broker contacted me about possible picking this Saturday. Since we have so many grapes might as well get some up front money.
Punching down the caps in the two macro bins. Fermentation is definitely taking place. Fruit gnats should start showing up in a day or two, word gets out. With luck fermentation will be done by Saturday and we can press these bins and free them up for Sunday's harvest. We have a lot of grapes hanging out there this year.
9 am Large crew showed up to work today. They got to picking before we had the crusher set up and the quad pulling the bucket trailers. Next thing we had 30 buckets full on the first long row. Things were running smoothly when Don did a brix test on the first macro bin. Huh? Sugar levels were only 23.6?!?!? Since we had sampled on the 2nd row we tested the 2nd macrobin and it was 23 also. Stop everything!! Took a breakfast break and retested, now 24. Still not the 25 we were expecting. So harvest is postpone until next Sunday, Sept 3. This will make things tougher because it's Labor Day Weekend and folks have made other plans. On the other hand, some who couldn't come today will have another opportunity.
You can't fool Mother Nature but she can sure fool you.
Today we were washing out all the equipment in preparing for this year's harvest, probably Sept 10 or 17. We decided to do a field sample to check brix levels ad did a random sample of one long row and one short row. Amazingly the long row came out to 25.2 and the short row was 23.2. This changes everything, we need to put out the word that we'll harvest the long rows this Sunday since temperatures are going to stay in the 90's.